Thursday, March 3, 2011

Extreme No Plastic

I've been plastic aware for about two weeks now.  And because I'm me, I go extreme.  So I pushed the pendulum over to the other side and tried out no plastics for a bit...  As much as possible.  Including anything that comes in plastic.  Here are some experiments in non-edibles that I've tried over the last couple of weeks:

Shampoo replaced with Baking Soda
         I tried it out in just its gritty state and have been using it to wash my face also. 

Conditioner replaced with Vinegar, Oatmeal and Vitamin E oil
         A rinsing of vinegar/water mix
         Then a rinsing of oatmeal - water & oatmeal blended, then strained through cheesecloth - super silky!
         And a couple drops of Vitamin E after the shower gets the comb through

Shaving Cream replaced with aforementioned Oatmeal blend (Did I mention super silky?)  Oh, but you have to refrigerate it or it goes bad after a couple of days.
        
Deodorant replaced with Baking Soda
         Brushed it on with a blush brush under my arms. 

Make-up - I still used my eye liner - but used jewelry to make myself feel pretty

Moisturizer replaced with Vitamin E oil

Bath & Kitchen cleaners replaced with Baking Soda & Vinegar - works in the toilet, too.

Yes, really. I know, I think I've stepped over the line of normal behavior.  But the wild thing is: It all works! And well! 

I have thin hair and dry skin, both of which appreciated not being stripped by normal cleansers.  The baking soda for deodorant worked great, even after a long day when I'd normally be stinky, I was in better shape than normal!  The make-up, well, there I'm a little odd - I didn't even wear make-up on my wedding day, so giving up make-up isn't too huge a deal, even though I do wear it religiously now.

Extra Bonus: All environmentally friendly, and no excess chemicals absorbed through my skin!

I do want to research baking soda more to find out what it's made from and how. 

No comments:

Post a Comment