Friday, February 25, 2011

Milk Cartons Exposed!

I replaced my regular plastic milk-jug purchase with smaller milk cartons, thinking the paper cartons would be better for the environment.  In my research last night I ran across a site that said milk cartons are plastic lined and not recyclable.  As any good internet researcher knows, I never trust one source and decided to look further into it today.

Milk cartons are lined in plastic.  How disappointing.  So much for the half gallon superiority.  (Or 2 quarter gallons because the half gallon had the plastic pour spout.)
One recycling site (http://www.obviously.com/recycle/guides/common.html)  says, “Milk cartons are plastic laminated inside, even if they don't have a plastic spout.”  And later, “Paper with any sort of contamination or plastic layers can't be recycled.”


I use Waste Management, and looked into their recycling methods and found that they do now recycle milk cartons, although it’s shipped elsewhere and a more involved process.  (http://www.wm.com/about/press-room/pr2009/20090402_WM_and_Tropicana_Launch_National_Recycling_Initiative.pdf) Well, damn. 
There are re-usable jugs at a few of the markets I frequent, although still plastic.  I’ll see if I can find glass milk jugs, too.
I wonder what else I’m taking for granted? 

No comments:

Post a Comment